Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Trini:"I guess I'm old."

You don't have to be 'very old' to remember when there were no cellphones. Heck, I worked on one of the first cellular phone systems and put it into operation in 1984/85. THere were no cellphones before then. And in that time, you had car phones with outside antennas, and 'bag phones' that weighed five pounds, and had a handset. Portables were $5000 each and were very scarce. Your monthly bill was $200/month for just 100 minutes a month of air time, and then another 25c/minute was charged. No text. No wireless internet. Heck, I don't even think we had 'internet' in 1985.

That was about the time you had AOL mail as in "You've Got Mail".....and MCI Mail, one of the first 'Email services' that existed. The 'World Wide Web' and browsers had yet to be created...or were just starting.

PCs, ala IBM "PC" or clones were over 1000 bucks and that was with a few hundred kilobytes of memory and 256K floppy disc drives, and a really big 10 meg hard drive.

There wasn't anything 'held held'. Oh, you could buy a 'portable' for $2000 or $3000...like a KayPro or Osborne.....

Your 'game computer' was a Commodore 64....or one of the plug in cartridge machines......

I even remember black and white TV......I think my grandparents had the first...about 7 inch set.....fixed channels..there were only 4 or 5 in the big NYC area.....one knob and they were labeled 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. That was it.

I went off to college and my parents got a color TV set (about 1965).....came home on week off and saw Star Trek in color...wow.... I was amazed.....all those colored knobs on the console.... now you have HD sets with Blue Ray DVDs.....and 3D TV.... which seems as popular as Quadrisonic Sound - which went no where. ......

Most kids don't even know what VHS and Beta machines were.....in the history bin along with 8 tracks and casettes and reel to reel tape.....and even phonograph records from 78, 45, 33 1/3rd....

Now kids talk of 'ancient' video game consoles....from 15 or 20 years ago as 'ancient history'...... or ancient video games.... don't even try to talk to them about Pong and video machines that used to be in every pizza parlor and sports bar.....

Well, my mother would talk of 'Penny Post Cards'.....and Five and Dime stores.... and service stations where they pumped your gas, checked your tire pressure, checked your oil level.....and washed your windshield......and wore spiffy uniforms.....and 'ironing'.....and hanging laundry out on 'the wash line'.....and 'pressure cookers'....
or calling "long distance' on special occasions like xmas to family members.....

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.