Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
True - Microsoft's consumer operating systems (Windows 3.x, 9.x & ME) incorporate 16bit legacy (MS-DOS) code. However, since its release in '93, Windows NT has been a totally 32bit OS - with no DOS underpinnings. Windows XP will be Microsoft's first "consumer" operating system built on top of the NT kernel and free from any legacy code.

NT is supposedly a Pro operating system, not what most people experience. Anyway, does it make NT any more stable? Maybe it doesn't have DOS underneath, but it still crashes as much as MacOS 9. Nowhere near the stability of X.

If Nt has all that protected memory and stuff, it sure doesn't seem to work.

Just another anecdote:

On my PC, it crashed yesterday. On restart, up comes the crummy blue DOS screen with "Microsoft Scandisk" checking for errors.

Scandisk comes across an error, an invalid long filename (must be a Mac file I copied across without an extension or something). "Scandisk can't fix this problem, please run Scandisk for Windows"

WTF!!!???

Now, being an experienced un-Fer, I knew that this was referring to a different scandisk, and that I was in "scandisk for DOS". The problem is - how would any computer newbie know any of this?

They would freak out. DOS Scandisk doesn't even make the distinction. At the top of the screen, it says "Microsoft Scandisk", not "Scandisk for DOS".

To add to the confusion, scandisk for Windows is not actually called "Scandisk for Windows", it is just called scandisk.

Most computer users would be thrown in a loop by this one. They would think "I am booting Windows, surely this IS scandisk for windows?". Many people think that the DOS startup IS a part of Windows. They have never used DOS on it's own, they are post-98 users.

Don't even get me started on the fact that I had to run two different applications for different types of problems.

I just can't believe the number of flaws I find in Windows on a nearly daily basis.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.