Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 18
True, "stopped working" is up to the user's definition.
In my case, if a screen does not provide significant return above what one can get by simply investing in an ETF like the Small Cap Growth IJT, or IWM, it just doesn't matter.
DATA: IJT was up 54% from 5/1/2018 to 5/1/2021.
My last used blend (vg-horse, lowps and HRV) was up 5% over that time.

Ouch.
My condolences, seriously.

Perhaps the "stopped working" is more common among smaller stocks.
Also maybe in part because we often measure "not working" relative to the S&P, and the S&P is mainly very very big stocks.
Anything that has stocks far from that definition will have returns that diverge a lot...for better or worse.

But FWIW, as an example of my "aim low" theory, I posted the LargeCapCash screen a while back.
https://boards.fool.com/a-spy-alternative-screen-34516863.as...
"The goal is a screen which is as safe as the S&P 500 but with the hope of somewhat higher returns over the long run."

First 16 months out of sample (and a wild time it has been), after friction:
S&P: CAGR 41.48%
LargeCapCash as in kickoff post (40 stocks, hold-till-drop at 45, two month holds): CAGR 45.6%
LargeCapCashDiv as in kickoff post (ditto, but stocks have to pay a div): CAGR 56.3%.
These are the screens before the consensus improvements later in the loooong thread.

The first, simplest one had an advantage of 4.1%/year over the S&P in this short post-discovery era.
The advantage in backtest Jan 2000-April 2020: 4.0%/year.

Certainly this is largely luck: big cash-rich firms have obviously been the best picks lately.
But, that's kind of the point of the screen...they're usually pretty good bets, it seems.

I mention this because of what it might say about screen selection.
My hypothesis (with little evidence) is that, since the 4% improvement was so modest, it was more likely to be met.
20 years ago nobody would have read a post about a backtest that improved on the market by only 4%/year.
Yet, if someone actually accomplished that in the last 20 years, they'd have 2.2 times as much money in the bank compared to the Boglehead.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.