Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
This is a repost of a message I wrote in January about the problems of selling in a panic. I'm not panicing now, but this is damned uncomfortable. IMO, for those that paniced and sold, the worst is yet to come. Try to hang in there! I have faith in MI and all 6 MI screens that I'm currently running.

For all of you that sold at the low point or lost some hard earned cash, I hope you realize what a valuable lesson you have learned. This will put some steel in you guts in preparation for the next time this happens. It will happen again. I learned my lesson in Oct. '97. The market was plummeting, the Russian economy was a shambles, the Japanese market had dumped 60%, the Brazilian market was down 40%, Europe was in the toilet, and I'm getting ready to retire. I couldn't see why the US market would stay aloof from the fray and so I sold a bunch. As it turned out I sold at the very bottom. WHACK, WHACK, WHACK. Well little did I know that upon realizing I had really done duky to myself, I would be paralyzed in my decision making. Is it going up? Well maybe it will go down tomorrow. Well I sold at about 7500 and couldn't really psyc myself up until it hit 9200. So I lost a bunch because I couldn't stand the heat, but much worse was the aftermath of how to get back in to the market. Was it bad? Between 50 and 80K, but I still really don't want to know. It was the most expensive lesson of my 63 years - hands down. If you learned your lesson for less, count your blessings for a tough lesson well learned at what I hope was miminum cost to you. This time I just said - OH look at that! It's instruction time again. MI is a great comfort after that trial. No more emotional decisions! Well, almost.

Dave

PS I did retire last April and all I can say is: I was born for this!!! Now where the hell is beleze
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.