Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am doing an accounting for my deceased husband's trust. It is my first accounting. (They are due each two years.) I am the trustee and the sole beneficiary, and a retired lawyer.

I've got everything figured out and ready to go except for one thing: distributions to me, the income beneficiary. I am simplifying the figures in the following:

I took income distributions of $15,000 although I was entitled to take $25,000 (the dividends and interest) for the pertinent period. The reason for the delay is because many investments post dividends in late December and I do not know what they are until I receive statements from brokerage accounts and/or 1099's.

So, my question is: how do I handle the $10,000 owing to me (Which will not be paid to me before the end of the accounting period which ends 12/2006?)

I thought of showing the $10,000 as an account payable and then deducting it from the end balance of the 12/2006 statements. If so, however, the $10,000 payment will be made in 2007 and I am not sure how to handle that in the next accounting period.

Please comment; I appreciate any help you can give me. CZ
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.