No. of Recommendations: 0
Trying to get a handle on just how much of a PITA having a pool is,...

Depends who you ask. I found it to be a major PITA. You need to check the chemistry every few days (unless you like algae). As you live someplace colder it may be slightly less frequently. In Phoenix evaporation is significant, so you need to stay on top of it.

You need to keep it clean (skimming, sweeping, AND the filters). Besides making for nasty water, it can damage the equipment ($$$$). Here in Phoenix it's a lot of dust/dirt that blows in. Back east where you are it may be more bugs, leaves, cottonwood puffs, or whatever.

The pump equipment is an energy hog.

Since I had one they have more strict laws about safety (e.g. you have to have a locking fence/gate around the pool even if you don't have any children yourself...your local laws may be different).

If you live someplace colder you will either need to heat the water, or plan to drain the pool every winter. Heating is expensive, draining is a PITA.

Sure, splashing around in a pool is nice. But there's a lot required to make that possible. I would never have one again.

FWIW.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.