No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I last visited this board -- back in my early days associating with the Fool, in fact. Which is why, in a way, I'm coming here for some help.

I'm trying to track down one particular series of posts from maybe 10 or more years ago. They were written by one of the most well-liked posters on this board of the time. At least I believe it was on this board, though it's possible it was on LBYM, instead.

In this series of chapters (and that's what she called them, if I recall, each with a clever yet pertinent title), she wrote her story of how she and her husband (and eventual family) got into financial trouble, and how, over time, they got themselves out of trouble. I seem to recall music being involved, somewhere. And how they learned to enjoy less-expensive entertainment, which may be where the music comes in.

She also included a lot of life lessons, things that are probably called life hacks, today. Things that stuck in my mind include dealing with mail as you walk into the house at the end of the day, having a place where bills were put so they could be dealt with on a set schedule, rather than tossing everything in a pile and letting it stack up. Or, how a single room was cleaned on a particular day each week, different rooms each day with the weekend off, so that the whole house averaged "mostly clean." Or, how if something needed to be returned to another room, it gradually migrated that way in stages (e.g. from the family room to the stairs to the bedrooms, and then from there to outside the correct bedroom, and then into the bedroom).

Does any of that ring a bell with some of you long-term members of the community here? If so, do you think you could help me by tracking them down? Or might you have bookmarked them back then and still have quick access?

I'm asking because I believe these posts could be useful for something I recently got involved in here at work at TMF (I work at the Alexandria, VA headquarters on the investment team, but this is for a different project related to personal finance).

Any help at all or even memory proddings would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Does any of that ring a bell with some of you long-term members of the community here?

I believe the posts were by TamarianG. I would think you could sort the board by author to find her posts. She left a long time ago, and I want to say that she started her own blog, but it was never anything that was of interest to me. Perhaps someone else will remember.
Does any of that ring a bell with some of you long-term members of the community here? If so, do you think you could help me by tracking them down? Or might you have bookmarked them back then and still have quick access?

I'm asking because I believe these posts could be useful for something I recently got involved in here at work at TMF (I work at the Alexandria, VA headquarters on the investment team, but this is for a different project related to personal finance).

Well, I could answer with a snarky post on TMF's search function, or lack thereof. 😆

But I would agree with 2gifts that you are probably searching for TamarianG's series of posts on LBYM. Here's a link to the specific set of posts you referenced, from a dead board: https://boards.fool.com/well-accept-submissions-through-dece...

She did become a blogger. Her blog was called "Tales from the Den of Chaos" http://www.denofchaos.com/2017/ But it looks like she stopped posting a couple of years ago.

AJ
AJ and 2gifts,

Thank you very much! As soon as I read her username, I remembered that's who it was. (Funny, how that works.) And, AJ, thanks for the link to her Feste nomination with the links to the posts I was remembering.

Best,
Jim
But it looks like she stopped posting a couple of years ago.

She did quit posting there.
She's still busy and the kids are growing and she posts some updates on facebook.

peace & continued imaginary friends
t
Glad she's doing well.

Fuskie
Who enjoys it when past Fools pop in to update how they are doing...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), TripAdvisor (TRIP), Live Nation (LYV), Vivendi SA (VIVHY)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: http://tinyurl.com/FoolCode
Thank you for asking this!

I didn't see those posts back in 2003, and very much enjoyed them, today! 😃

ralph
No. of Recommendations: 15
In the course of reading this thread, I went back and looked at some of the posts that got a lot of recs on the LBYM board. Wow. Wow. There were some mighty powerful things that happened. The post from someone named leia whose husband had just been diagnosed with stage 3-4 melanoma, the one about the Santa deliveries that bookgrrl did, the one about her miscarriage, the one about someone's brother in law who was missing and whose truck was eventually found wrecked on the side of a road, the post about the harpsichord... Amazing.

I have to wonder whether our stories will eventually become archaeological digs -- the telling of the story of our time through the tracings of the words we leave behind. How rich history will become when it is all in the words of the people who lived it, rather than in the dry tones of the academic historian.

ThyPeace, was glad she was home at the time so she could cry over the powerful, human, tragic, wonderful things that are the stories of us.
No. of Recommendations: 1

I have to wonder whether our stories will eventually become archaeological digs -- the telling of the story of our time through the tracings of the words we leave behind. How rich history will become when it is all in the words of the people who lived it, rather than in the dry tones of the academic historian.

ThyPeace, was glad she was home at the time so she could cry over the powerful, human, tragic, wonderful things that are the stories of us.

Indeed. And although I’ve become a very infrequent poster, I’m proud of the people I’ve “met” and the friends I’ve made through these Boards. They were my home on the internet, for a very long time.

When the time comes, I hope someone in TMF Headquarters, takes an archive of these Boards and hands it to the Smithsonian or the British Library or the Library of Congress, somewhere where the archive can be accessed and appreciated by future people like us. In the 1930’s and ‘40’s, there was a social history program, The Mass Observation Project, which I believe is archived at the University of Sussex. Participants submitted diaries and surveys. Several have been published and provide a powerful record of what it was really like to live through the Blitz.

- Pam (Hello, old friend.)
But just think of teh posts those researchers will never see because some people ran out of recommendations for the day.
No. of Recommendations: 1
But just think of teh posts those researchers will never see because some people ran out of recommendations for the day.

Hey, they wouldn't be good researchers if they couldn't figure out how to appropriately handle that. And, for that matter, the difference between 15 rec in 2019 versus 15 recs in 2002. Or 15 recs on this board versus 15 recs on one of the political boards.

ThyPeace, normalized data indeed.