Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Tesla Model 3 Cost of Ownership Slightly Cheaper Than a Camry
https://loupventures.com/tesla-model-3-cost-of-ownership-sli...
“…
* The bottom line: Model 3 is a superior car (electric, safer, Autopilot) compared to a Camry, and is slightly cheaper to own and operate over 5 years.
* Average all-in cost per mile for a Model 3 is $0.46, compared to the Camry LE at $0.49, and Audi A5 at $0.80.
…”

This basic valuation gap - better product for less total cost to consumer - is one of the reasons why TSLA is selling faaaar more cars than equivalently priced luxury sedans (BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, etc) - but also will soon be selling more than the more pedestrian Toyotas and Hondas (I was a lifelong Honda Civic and Subaru Outback duuuude).

So pay attention to the long-term exponential sales as your clue that TSLA is by far a better and safer stock to own than many companies that are perceived (incorrectly) as bigger, safer companies like GM, GE, big banks, etc.

Recall which companies did well in the previous recessions - was it the “bigger and safer” companies?

Or was it the few top TMF recs like NFLX and AMZN and TSLA which continued to GROW sales unlike all the other companies - kinda like this:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/272120/revenue-of-tesla/...

Note - those top TMF rec’s stock prices got hammered WORSE than the average US companies who were all losing sales bigly and many enough to go belly up like GM…

So don’t let stock price ever be a proxy for how well a company is doing - or isn’t - in the short term.

Duuude1
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 13
That would be amazing. If only it were true. Unfortunately, their analysis (like the one they did in 2017) is complete garbage.

Just glancing at the table they generated should immediately reveal how screwed up it is. In what world is it more expensive to insure a $25K Camry than a $39K Tesla Model 3?

And that's the problem - several of the numbers they used for the Camry are way too negative. By a lot. The actual cost to insure a Camry for 60 months is about $3,700 - not the $6,000 they used. Depreciation for the first five years of the Camry is only $11,500 - not the $15,700 they used. Fuel costs will be about $6,300 - not the $8,000 they listed:

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/2019/cost-to-own/#style...

That's about an $8,000 difference. Huge. It completely erases the purported cost advantage of the Model 3. The Camry will instead be about $6,000 cheaper to own.

Albaby

P.S. That's just on the Camry side, where sites like Edmunds have a lot of data. They haven't generated a cost to own for the Model 3 yet. But on that side as well, the Loup folks seemed to have seriously lowballed the maintenance costs. They list maintenance and repair at a ridiculously low $1,200 for five years (which is actually about what it would cost to do nothing but change the tires once over 75,000 miles with recommended tires). That's wholly inconsistent with observed data for the Model S and Model X, which both come in at well over $6,000.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yeah, that's pretty outrageous.

I bought a used 2014 for about $55,000 less than it sold new. It had bout 20,000 miles on it. Ignoring electricity and insurance, that car cost its original owners almost $3/mile!

Its costing me a lot less. I drive a lot more than them.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Convenient how Munster of Loup Ventures completely ignores a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Instead, Munster compares to the Toyota Camry ICE LE.

Albaby in this thread is a better analyst than Munster. Al is beginning to see the fraudulent and cherry-picked data claims made by Tesla through anointed analysts whose calls they continue to take.

https://www.toyota.com/camryhybrid/
No. of Recommendations: 0
Al is beginning to see the fraudulent and cherry-picked data claims made by Tesla through anointed analysts whose calls they continue to take.

"Is beginning to"? When do you think I was failing to see through any fraudulent or cherry-picked claims?

Albaby
No doubt it is cheaper to own a nee Camry, depending on your insurance company and the mostly fixed cost of electricity. But only if you assume certain gasoline cost. Owning a Corolla would be cheaper than either. Also used vs new, etc.
The difference in driving experience jump between a Tesla and a Camry is bigger than the gap between a Corolla and Camry (have owned all 3) . You really can't compare BEV and ICE, apples and oranges, different strokes for different folks. If money is the whole key , a used car is the way to go, the best product for the money being a used GM or Ford car.(depreciation is your friend buying used.) And depreciation is the main car expense the first few years.

Ant tires that last over 75,000 miles are probably not performance tires, longer life goes with less traction, you save money but there is a safety price to pay.

I don't know abut the 3, but insuring my 2014 S is expensive. I suspect that while insurance companies have a big accident database, what they charge is based on the maximum they can get the public to pay.
I don't know abut the 3, but insuring my 2014 S is expensive. I suspect that while insurance companies have a big accident database, what they charge is based on the maximum they can get the public to pay.

My daughter slid my 2014 S into a curb. Not a body panel was touched. Would have needed pretty much replacement of suspension parts on side of car she slid in to.

Car was totaled. THAT's why insurance is expensive.
You are correct, al, and I was wrong in my assertion. I read about 100 posts of yours last night from the past year - not all of them mind you - but just enough to see more clearly you have been one of the few commenters on the TSLA board who isn't taken up with the pump scenarios and the cult of Elon Musk. I apologize.

- mauser

Thanks for the honesty, mauser.

Insurance for high risk profile Teslas which cost more to repair and which are involved in more accidents than any other brand have got Big Insurers on high alert.

From six days ago:

https://twitter.com/kurtshepherd/status/1161755106246897665

Just got off the phone with @Allstate...insurance for
@Tesla model 3 increased 47% and 54% for collision and comp. They just changed their PGS code for m3.

@elonmusk where is #TeslaInsurance? We need it!!!

From two years ago:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/tesla-model-s-has-higher-in...

When it comes to insurance losses, the Tesla Model S is an outlier. The luxury sedan has higher claim frequencies and is costlier to fix than gasoline-powered large luxury cars, and it accumulates more miles on average per day than other battery-powered vehicles, a new HLDI report shows.

The Model S is among the nine vehicles HLDI studied in its latest analysis of insurance losses for all-electric models. Analysts compared the loss experience of the Model S, the Nissan Leaf and seven other electric vehicles with losses for similar conventional vehicles under collision and property damage liability coverages and adjusted claim frequencies for mileage, based on data provided by CARFAX.

Collision coverage insures against physical damage to a vehicle in a crash if the driver is at fault. Property damage liability coverage insures against physical damage that at-fault drivers cause to other people's vehicles and property in crashes.

And then there are the show-offs such as this idiot helping insurers to increase premiums for Tesla owners:

https://twitter.com/Keubiko/status/1162566350197415937/photo...