Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Last week I closed all my covered call positions save TuSimple Holdings Inc. (TSP) which was acting "normal." I hate to have so much cash on the sidelines and this week I checked the TSP January calls. WOW!

Yesterday I added TSP at $39.51 and sold January 21, strike 40 calls at $4.50 -- that's 11.39% in 6.3 weeks! If assigned, it's 12.63%.

Check it out!

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
re: the latest covid-19 variant scare

Yeah, hah! "Scare" sooooo scared. Omnicron rearranged spells Moronic. Purely coincidental I'm sure.

Times like this those preprogrammed buys/reinvestment of distributions is particularly sweet.
Hi Denny,

Tomorrow I plan on selling UPST calls Dec 17 with a $180.00 strike at $10.10. That is 5.8% in a week.

Paul
Tomorrow I plan on selling UPST calls Dec 17 with a $180.00 strike at $10.10. That is 5.8% in a week.

I got in at the wrong time (11/2) but sold quickly (11/4). Do you think UPST has bottomed out? If so it's probably a great deal

https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp...

I'll keep an eye on it.

Denny Schlesinger
I don’t know if anything has bottomed out but I had built UPST up to a 30% position before the last earnings report. Rather than just selling out after the post earnings drop I have been selling covered calls on half of my position every week. It’s been the best performing part of my portfolio for the past month.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Rather than just selling out after the post earnings drop I have been selling covered calls on half of my position every week.

That is a good move to protect a high conviction position as long as you don't get called below your net cost basis.

In any case, trades have to fit the portfolio strategy which is why different trades make sense for different investors. I no longer sell calls on positions I want to hold long term because I was having too much opportunity loss. I split my port into long term hold -- no calls, and income where I sell covered calls on stocks that are either flat lining or going up.

Denny Schlesinger

PS: I sold UPST at $324 on November 4. Now $179.60. I don't think I could have made up the difference, $144.40, in five weeks with covered calls.
I’d think UPST would be a great covered call candidate right now for those who aren’t concerned about the opportunity cost and also great to own for the long run. UPST sits just under 10% of my portfolio. Based on guidance, I expect next quarter to grow over 20% sequentially. While I don’t know what Q1 guidance will bring, I suspect growth to be well over 50% over the next year.

The valuation is very attractive if my expectations are correct. Of course, I could be very wrong.

I’ve based the above on the value I believe UPST provides for their paying customers and beneficiary consumers. I see it is a very strong model even if a bit unpredictable quarter by quarter.

A.J.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Right now I'm more worried about the market than about any one stock in particular. It's amazing how far some of ARK's stocks have dropped from their highs. UPST is down 58.8% trying to fill the gap at 140

https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp...

TSLA and ENPH have held up better but both have gaps to fill. It's a good time to sit on cash. ;)

Denny Schlesinger
speaking of holding up...

TSLA and ENPH have held up better but both have gaps to fill.

feeling pretty happy with my QCOM position