Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To my understanding, as of January 2006, the Government has removed all monthly contribution limits on the federal 401k or "Thrift Savings Plan." Apparently, my entire biweekly paycheck, up to an annual total of $15,000, can be deposited. There is also a provision allowing for lump sum deposits. If I understand correctly, I can either put in the monthly pretax contributions or do one or a number of lump sum deposits. If I were to choose the lump sum route, which would assumingly come from after tax monies, is there any way of making back that money that was taxed? The way I see it, seeing of how the benefit of the TSP/401k/Traditional IRA is that contributions are pretax, shouldn't there be some way of making the aftertax lump sum payments have the same benefit? Is there a way to account for this on my tax return?

thanks in advance
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.