Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
TT calculated estimated tax assuming the same income as for 2020 without giving me an option to input expected income for 2021 which will be mostly capital gains but much lower.

Under Other Tax Situations > Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes; you may have not answered something after the prompt to Prepare Now prompt for Estimated Taxes for 2021. On the Review Your Estimates for 2021
answer Yes to the question Do you want to adjust your income or deductions.

I've gotten into the habit of not entering anything on Enter Investment Gains and Losses page as the information has to be included on the Enter 2021 Other Income page. (What ticks me off about the Enter Investment Gains and Losses page is that it is the only place where data entered in TurboTax that is not carried forward to where it needs to be entered.)

On the Which Method? page, you can select whether you want 100%, 90%, or 66 2/3% of to be used for your 2021 estimated taxes.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.