Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Tubortax asks for "Box 5 [SSA-1099] Total Net Benefits" (i *calculate* it's net of Medicare B D premiums"
--------
Did you input the amount in Box 5 or an amount you calculated by deducting the Medicare premiums? It's not clear (to me, anyway), from your post.

yes. when i said 'calculated', i meant that after the fact, i looked at SS 'Benefit' and subtracted Medicare B & D premiums ,which are deducted from payment.

Turbo tax income sheet mirrors this .
the top of "Form 1040 line 20 -- SS Benefits Worksheet"

A-Total net benefits from Box 5 of all SSA-1099 forms B
B-Total federal tax withheld from box 6 of all SSA-1099 forms C
C-Total Medicare B premiums withheld from all SSA-1099 forms
Note: If self-employed, Medicare Part B premiums are deductible as Self-Employed Health Insurance. If self-employed, enter Part B premiums on the business activity form (Schedule C, F, etc), not on Line C above.
D-Total Medicare D premiums withheld from all SSA-1099 forms E

E-Total net benefits from Box 5 of all RRB-1099 forms F
F-Total federal tax withheld from box 10 of all RRB-1099 forms G
G-Total Medicare premiums from Box 11 of all RRB-1099 forms
[my emph]

I've not seen TT in years, but every other program I've used recently eith gets the Medicare premiums on the 1099 input screen or in the Schedule A input.

I went back and looked at the earlier posts in the thread. Did you by chance put the Medicare premiums in the withholding box on the 1099-SSA input screen? (That's not right.)

nope ..wasn't that confused <g>
put the premiums withheld in boxes C and D on input screen, and TT put them in SS Worksheet ..they don't seem to have gone anywhere else.

what's interesting ,given the OP, is if they'd gone to Schedule A, they'd be subject to the 7.5% thing
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.