No. of Recommendations: 1
I opted out of dinner with my brother and his family today, was too tired. I call some folks up. Decided it wasn't a good idea to stay home and took myself to a 4 pm movie. It's either A or The Last Concert, with Christopher Walkmen, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and others. t was very good.

It was almost a private viewing with a couple, myself and another single woman enjoying the show.

My turkey today has been a package of Buddigs turkey and now some ground turkey with veggies.

Not bad.

I bet art slaved away in the kitchen all day and is sacked on his lazy boy recliner sawing logs. I imagine a few others are doing the same thing.

LD
Print the post Back To Top
"I bet art slaved away in the kitchen all day and is sacked on his lazy boy recliner sawing logs. I imagine a few others are doing the same thing." - LD

I made a CherryO' Cream Cheese pie last night that might have took me 15 minutes and today I baked two turkey thighs, two drumsticks, and the wing parts in a roasting pan for an hour and half. I cut up the turkey yesterday (like cutting up a big chicken). We all ate at MIL's house, everyone contributed.

Vangie (MIL) made a whole bunch of yummy stuff.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
I bet art slaved away in the kitchen all day and is sacked on his lazy boy recliner sawing logs. I imagine a few others are doing the same thing.

LD

-----------------------

A beautiful cool blue sky day in these parts, a great day to be outside. So I started by spending a few hours doing tractor work. My giant burn piles were now reduced to ashes so it was good time to haul off the dirt and ash before starting new burn piles.

After that, I went to my rifle range and sighted in the deer rifle. Hunting trip to Oklahoma coming up next week. Second shot I didn't have the rifle butt firmly planted on my shoulder and the recoil pushed the scope into my nose. I got a decent sized cut that bled a lot. After the bleeding stopped, I finished with the deer rifle and then ran a few magazines through my pistol. I hadn't practived in a long time and it showed. I was shooting at an 8 in saw blade from about 10 yards and could only hit the thing about one time in four.

After that I did a little carpentry work on barn 2.0 before heading home.

Dinner was some of that basalmic pork loin I made a while back. I froze half of it then, and tonight it was dinner. I sliced five half inch slices off the roast and fried them in some olive oil with some spices and a few slices of onion. Dipped the pieces in some bbq sauce as I ate in front of the TV. Washed it all down with lots of delicious milk. Burp!
No. of Recommendations: 2
No. of Recommendations: 4
Vangie (MIL) made a whole bunch of yummy stuff.

I had a Stouffer's individal frozen turkey dinner for lunch (after heating it up of course) and for dinner a Marie Calendar frozen turkey dinner, along with buttered pumpernickel toast (delicious) and now a pumpkin pie is cooling off waiting for me to finish watching Homeland and I have some Cool Whip to put on it.

I had read in Consumer Report's new shopping magazine that both Stouffers and Marie Calendar's dinners are pretty good for what they are and I wanted to compare them. Strike Stouffer's, MC is better. Stouffer's has a frozen dinner I love though--some kind of Bourbon steak tips thing with mashed potatoes.

MC came with a few bits of vegetables on the side but I like lots of vegetables so I also had half a baked acorn squash for both lunch and dinner. I cut the acorn in half and baked it 20 minutes or so, cut side down, then turned it over and filled it with some brown sugar, butter, sprinkled cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper and baked another 10. The acorn was the best thing of all, although I think the pumpkin pie is going to give it a run for its money.

I have been limping around all day because I turned the wrong way when I got out of bed this morning and did something crazy with my knee. I did manage to stoically stumble around and make coffee, feed the cats, fix food, take some things to the trash and take a bath. Other than that I have been babying my knee all day sitting or lying down. I'll do the same for the next couple days. Have plenty to entertain myself including Hallmark Christmas and Thanksgiving movies with happy endings that make you cry, the complete Season 2 of Downton Abbey and the books I'm reading right now--Telegraph Ave. by Michael Chabon, and a collection of old Rolling Stones interviews, Not Fade Away; a Backstage Pass to 20 Years of Rock and roll by Ben Fong Torres. Rolling Stone Magazine started in San Francisco the first year I went to work for San Francisco Public and I remember convincing Miss Ashe, my boss, that we needed to pick it up as a new subscription for the Art and Music Department. Having her agree was almost as exciting as women librarians breaking wardrobe barriers that year at SFPL and being able to start wearing trousers to work.

Ha Ha, it kind of hurts to sit at the computer, feels much better sitting down in recliner or lying down so I probably won't be able to spend a whole lot of money on Black Friday. I sort of was going to order all these $18 large bath towels from Herberger's for 1.97 each for one thing, but now I think I'll just let them go and everything else too. So this little pain is saving me a lot of money. I did get 6 new pair of pajamas earlier this week for $25.00 each instead of their usual $58, since they started their Black Friday business early and always have great sales anyway.

Other than that my Christmas shopping is all done. I've already mailed my granddaughters their libraries (they each get a dozen books) so as to take advantage of an early mailing discount rate to Hawaii and my son and DIL are getting fancy designer perfumes (his and hers), the kind that advertise in Vanity Fair and Vogue with their stiff, scented strips making it difficult to turn the pages and keep the journal open and that I immediately rip out. Calvin Klein this year I think. And Money of course. Individual checks from grandmother, so they can get something they want, or pay off a bill, or just save it. Some people may not like money as a present, maybe even my own family, but it was my favorite thing to get and now it is my favorite thing to give.
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I was shooting at an 8 in saw blade from about 10 yards and could only hit the thing about one time in four." - BigHairyMike

Weren't you worried that the bullets might ricochet off the saw blade and fly back at you? Aren't saw blades made out of pretty hard steel? Ten yards is not very far! I'd be afraid the saw blade would "bounce" and come flying back at me.

Art
"I have been limping around all day because I turned the wrong way when I got out of bed this morning and did something crazy with my knee. I did manage to stoically stumble around and make coffee, feed the cats, fix food, take some things to the trash and take a bath. Other than that I have been babying my knee all day sitting or lying down. I'll do the same for the next couple days. Have plenty to entertain myself including Hallmark Christmas and Thanksgiving movies with happy endings that make you cry, the complete Season 2 of Downton Abbey and the books I'm reading right now--Telegraph Ave. by Michael Chabon, and a collection of old Rolling Stones interviews, Not Fade Away; a Backstage Pass to 20 Years of Rock and roll by Ben Fong Torres." - catmeyoo

Sorry about your knee. I can empathize. I was at MIL's for dinner today and afterwards I was just minding my own business sitting on the couch and all of a sudden I got this sharp pain in my right hip and back and afterwards I just couldn't get comfortable. What's that all about?

Right now I'm reading Dr. Jeffrey Long's (M.D. Radiation Oncologist) book Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near Death Experiences. It's pretty good; I plan on keeping it. Most of the books I decide to keep are written by either M.D.s or PhD's.

I usually like to finish one book before I start another. Otherwise I'll never finish them. I can be rather obsessive compulsive that way.

Art
Sorry your knee is hurting cat, if you're not doing it already a little ice pack for 10-15 every so often helps plus a NSAID.

Your dinner sounds wonderful and homey and you sound very much content, well except for the knee pain.

Wish you much enjoyment today.

Lucky Dog
I outdid myself with my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. That wasn't hard because the only thing I normally cook is a simple stir-fry. Once DW had finished making all her dishes and it was safe to enter the kitchen, I made the dish I saw on a Mexican cooking show on TV a few days ago. I took a bunch of Brussel sprouts, cut off the bottoms, dug out the hard centers, then peeled all the leaves off. I cooked the leaves in a fry pan with olive oil, then added cashew pieces when it was nearly done. A little salt and pepper and voowalla! -- a delicious simple low-carb vegetable stir-fry.

DW had bought a boneless turkey breast. She made a paste from ground-up pistachios, cilantro, flat-leaf parsley, salt, pepper and butter and applied it all over the bird just beneath its skin. Then she rubbed the outside of the skin with a mix of garlic and onion powders, paprika (half sweet, half spicy), a little chili powder and some cumin. All this was before cooking, of course, with the secret step of taking the bird out of the oven before it was totally cooked and letting it sit while it finished cooking on its own. This avoids dryness. The result was a turkey experience that was both moist and flavorful beyond the norm.

The gravy came from a plastic tub purchased at Whole Foods. It was initially a little bland, but the addition of some spices, some wine and I don't know what else soon brought it up to snuff.

And she made her signature red dish -- red cabbage, red onion and red bacon with balsamic vinegar.

The cranberries came out of a can, also from Whole Foods. It was kind of like Jell-O®, smooth and without those annoying cranberry skins that get stuck in your teeth. But with a richer flavor and texture, the very essence of cranberry, more cranberrilicious than any I can recall.

And what, you are no doubt wondering by now, brought this marvelous meal to a close? Why, pears poached in red wine with vanilla, anise, orange rind, cloves and a cinnamon stick. After the pears sat overnight in the wine and stuff, the juice was poured off and reduced in a separate pot to intensify the flavors, then poured back over the pears when served. But wait -- I'm not done yet. It was topped with a chocolate sauce made from semisweet chocolate chips melted with a little cream and vanilla added for texture. And that was topped with a little freshly made whipped cream.

The best part: We only ate half so, except for the pears, we get to do it all over again in a couple of days.

--fleg
I took a bunch of Brussel sprouts, cut off the bottoms, dug out the hard centers, then peeled all the leaves off.
----------------

How would this be different from chopping up some cabbage? Which would be easier. We had brussel sprouts with almonds and balsamic.

I became the finishing cook because DH burned three fingers. So all of a sudden I was trying to understand what he was cooking and making gravy at the same time. I did have pecan pie for dessert. Unfortunately there is a lot left, and I can't refuse a slice because it makes DH sad. He's pretty good about my weird diet most of the time.

arrete - did file away the turkey breast and poached pears recipes.
How would this be different from chopping up some cabbage?

Then we'd be eating cabbage and not Brussel sprouts. Since one of the other dishes was red cabbage, I couldn't very well post about having turkey, cabbage and cabbage, could I? Maybe you lack the gene that enables you to taste the difference, the way that some people can't tell the difference between good coffee and dishwater-flavored coffee.

Which would be easier.

Thanksgiving meals are not meant to be easy.

--fleg
the way that some people can't tell the difference between good coffee and dishwater-flavored coffee. - fleg

--------------------

I'm getting killed over here!