No. of Recommendations: 5
Turns out he is rather terrible at paying bills ontime and consequently has had several accounts in collection that keep popping up. In one recent collection it went to court for "entry of default" judgment and I got named on the lawsuit because of living in a community property state. I frequently don't hear about any of it unless I happen to see a suspicious letter in the mail and open it first.

I haven't checked my credit report lately (I'm planning to) but my credit rating should be very high, it was last I checked. Nothing ever late, low debt utilization, etc.

I would suggest checking your credit report sooner, rather than later. If you were named in a judgment, it is likely that your credit report/score isn't as good as you think it should be.

My first goal is to protect myself, my credit, my assets from getting attacked or damaged due to his actions or inactions with creditors. I am wondering if there is a legal way to do so... for example (too late now but) a prenuptial agreement disclaiming community property, separate accounts (which we have) with some kind of legally binding agreement or document that our accounts are separate property not community property.

These are questions for an attorney in your state. You can get better educated by using google to search for information about community property laws in your state. Some states (presumably yours, since you were named in the judgment) allow comunity debt as well as community assets, as long as the debt was incurred to 'benefit the community'. You should ask the attorney if you are basically paying the bills for the community, and the debt that he is accumulating is only for his benefit, is there a way that you can shield yourself from being named in suits. Absent that, if your state allows community debt, you may be out of luck.

Can I legally get access to his credit report, bank accounts, put watches on his credit reports?

Not without his permission.

Other ideas?

There's the old joke - Why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it!

You really need to consult a family law attorney who is experienced with debt/credit issues to see if there is any way to protect yourself. However, given that in a community property state, your marriage contract has joined your financial lives together, there may not be, unless you get a divorce.

Print the post  


UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.