Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Greetings once again everyone.

First, my apologies for the lack of TWIC (This Week in CAPS) postings during the month of October. It is my intention to try to keep bringing you weekly little tidbits and updates from CAPS-land, but over the past month, my schedule did get the better of me.

Either that, or I was too distracted by the bags of candy at our house which were purchased in preparation for Halloween. Mmmm.... Snickers!

Ooooh! And Skittles!

Ok, enough about candy, though 'confectioners' is a tag in CAPS.

What's a tag, you ask? Ok, so you didn't ask. You've probably been reading my TWIC postings for a while, or are a CAPS veteran, and know all about tags. But if you haven't, tags are simply groupings of stocks in CAPS. Tags can range from industry/sector, to type of investment (e.g. 'defensive'), to geographic location, and there are even tags for stocks whose ticker symbols spell out a boy's or girl's name (like SAM or ANN).

Take SAM (The Boston Beer Company), for example. Thinking of doing some research into the brewer as a potential investment and want to scope out the competition a little bit? While there are plenty of places to find out who the company's biggest competitors are, one can find a number of them by simply calling up SAM's CAPS page, and clicking on one of the tags to the right... perhaps 'beer'. This will give you a list of other 'beer' stocks, right along with each stock's current CAPS rating.

And while the stocks within each tags have ratings, so too do the tags themselves -- from 1 to 5 stars, just like the stocks do. To find out which tags are hot (or not) simply head on over to the Top Tens area and click on High-Rated Tags or Low-Rated Tags.

For example, as of this moment, the highest-rated tags (sporting 5-star ratings) are:

Aircraft Leasing
Oil & Gas Refining and Marketing
Dusseldorf
Oil & Gas Limited Partnerships
Scientific & Technical Instruments
Packaging & Containers
Management Services

Now, I suppose if we could find an aircraft leasing company based out of Dusseldorf, Germany, we might be onto something! Just kidding, of course. I have no idea if there are any such companies in Dusseldorf, or if they'd make good investments...

But I think using tags in CAPS can be a great little tool to help in doing one's due diligence -- whether it be looking at the ratings of tags themselves trying to find a sector that the CAPS community is bullish on at the moment, or seeing, on one page, what the community thinks of the relative prospects of the stocks in any particular sector.

So... next time you're tooling around CAPS, don't ignore the tags as they might lead you to a bit of new information that might help you become a better investor.

Tag! You're It!

Regards,

Russell (a.k.a. TMFEldrehad)

P.S. I own no shares in any company mentioned in this post.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.