Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Twice now I've had problems using my credit card through PayPal for a VR rental. I was told it was considered a "high risk transaction," and that they only accepted payments for goods, not services, via credit cards. PayPal insisted that a VR rent payment could only be taken by my setting up a PayPal account that was linked to my checking account. Fat Chance. Both times the VR owner tried to talk sense into PayPal, who rejected their concerns. They had to scramble to find a way to take my credit card, and I give them credit for not suggesting I simply send them a check.

Interesting. I don't think I've had any issues. I had set up a separate PayPal Business account for the property, which we had also placed in an LLC. I worked it by sending invoices to our renters (and glad your post prompted me to log in and look at them for the first time in quite a while.. apparently they've changed their format and the old templates I had saved will be disappearing shortly), and they paid by either credit card or checking account. It's been a while since I've done so, and I don't recall exactly what was selected, but in looking at the current options it appears that you don't need to select either Goods or Services when creating/sending an Invoice.

And to be honest, if it were greater than 30 days out, I would've been one to suggest the check! Like I said, I'm a split personality on this one. Would greatly prefer using credit cards for my personal expenses, and I realize they're partially a 'cost of doing business', but if, in my business, I can avoid a cost of several hundred, I'll avoid it.

I think that websites like the Homeaway brands taking credit cards for their listed properties will go a long way towards protecting both the owner and the consumer of vacation rentals. (Certainly with their large group, bulk discounts are a no brainer, [...] This way potentially offers owners a more reasonable way to get access to credit card payments

HomeAway has had their own brand of credit card processing since I listed a couple years ago. But their rates weren't any more competitive. If they're doing something new, perhaps I missed it in one of the 'spam-like' emails they seem to constantly send.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.