Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
ET or anyone else,

Two questions. First is on dilution/share buyback.

BX has stated that they would like to have zero dilution. Basically, buyback as many shares as they issue in compensation. I think BX should buyback at least that amount, and so I am happy with that approach.

I am having a bit of trouble reconciling their statements with the equity compensation costs. As I see it, BX has an equity compensation expense of about $181 million over the last 12 months. That's high (above 10% of net income), but I think that is to be expected. Also, in the range that would allow for an 85% payout ratio - 85% to distributions; 10%+ to buyback; a few percent left over.

On the call they mention 18 million shares being bought back in the LTM. That's $540 million, or about 3-times as many shares as I would have thought needed to cover the compensation expense. I'm looking to reconcile the numbers.

Looks like they reduced the share count over the LTM - about 6 million fewer DE participating units. BX buys back only common, but some partnership convert to common??

The reduced sharecount could get me a bit closer to reconciling. Perhaps management reduced the sharecount in the recent past due to a low unit price, but discusses zero-dilution as that's all they want to semi-commit to. Still leaves me a bit short though.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Second one is simpler. I believe the conversion moots any carried income tax changes for BX. That is, BX will no longer get any special treatment for carried income, and so any change to eliminate the tax treatment is irrelevant. Looking for confirmation or correction.

Thanks,
GnV
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.