No. of Recommendations: 3
Two points:

1) Costco gives a 90 day "no questions asked" customer satisfaction money back warranty on any electronics they sell (and a lifetime customer satisfaction guaranty on everything else they sell).

I have not used that offer often, but the few times I have, they didn't even question what was the problem, they just refunded the full purchase price. If the price of an item (or near equivalent) is even close, I buy at Costco for this very reason.

Incidentally, on Black Friday the Best Buy near me had lines and police protection. I walked into the local Costco's first thing in the morning and shared it with three other customers. Their prices happened to be far cheaper than Best Buy's (visited them on the way home) on that day and the wait was basically zero. go figure :-)

Now for something completely different:

2) Most APC "UPS"'s aren't uninterpretable power supplies (UPS). The term "SmartUPS", one of their trademarks does not mean that the backup unit is uninterpretable (I suspect it means that the power is always "up" and "only coincidently" may be misleading). If you look at their specification sheet, there is a (admittedly short) transfer time. That means that your load is always connected to your utility company (through a surge protector) until there is a voltage drop at which point it switches to batter backup through an inverter (said switchover being the transfer).

If you want a true UPS, look for a unit which has the term "double conversion" (and no transfer time) in the specification sheet. In these, the load always runs off batteries through an inverter and all that happens when the power dies is the batteries stop getting charged. Since the load is always running off DC, there are no transients which pass from the utility to the equipment and no lockup during transfer. These units (within a given manufacturer) tend to be more expensive. Tripplite used to be the competitor of APC with the broadest line of double conversion units, but APC started making them a few years ago as they were apparently losing too much business by not having them available.

Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.