Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I already received my refund, but my self-employed friend filed an extension because she does not have the funds to put into her SEP yet. In discussing her situation, two questions arose.

1) How do you properly account for a MSA? She thinks you can deduct only the amount reimbursed from the MSA, but I thought it was the amount contributed, like my FSA. If you had additional out-of-pocket medical expenses, are they also deductible?

2) My friend thinks her tax preparers never deducted for the new car she purchased 3 years ago. She drives it about 10-20% in her business. Her tax preparers told her the deductions were too insignificant to warrant the cost of filing an amended return for those years. I did not think it cost anything to file an amended return (unless it is the tax preparers who want to charge for it, in which case could I not use my Turbo Tax to help her?)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.