Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
1. Years ago I had a Nikon Coolpix 950 http://www.steves-digicams.com/nikon950/coolpix950_4views.jp... whose most awesome feature was the ability to aim the viewscreen at any angle with respect to the lens. Personally, I hardly ever want to take pictures with the camera held up at eye level, so after using that camera I've never understood why anyone would want a camera where the viewscreen is in line with the lens. You almost always want to hold the camera down low or up high in real life. At least I do. And that camera could very easily tilt the screen so I could see it without having to stoop down or climb up on something. Unfortunately, that camera was also really good at getting the exposure wrong, didn't have a whole lot of optical zoom, and doesn't have much resolution by today's standard.

Every once in a while, I see another camera that has some tilt or swivel screen. Lately, the Canon PowerShot N for example. These cameras always seem to have something that renders them completely unusable. As one review says http://www.trustedreviews.com/canon-powershot-n_Digital-Came... "features a new, unusually boxy design that is a combination of enjoyable and frustrating to use in equal measures" and "A muddled device that excites at first but ... accidental [touchscreen] presses and unwanted snaps of floors and ceilings were an all too frequent occurrence, even during our brief time with the camera".

Am I missing something, or is there no tilt-screen camera that's actually decent (in the general class of "point and shoot" and "fits in your pocket" not that the Coolpix 950 would). Still pictures, not video.

2. And still speaking of point-and-shoot, when I'm not holding my camera down low or up high as mentioned above, I'm usually trying to take a picture that includes myself. It seems obvious that one needs a remote shutter release to take such pictures. But there don't seem to be any point-and-shoot cameras with a wireless remote. Timers totally suck... everyone seems to just use the "ask a stranger to take the picture" technique. Or am I missing something again?

Speaking of "ask a stranger", here's a cool idea for a website. The plan is: Whenever you go on vacation to a tourist area or a resort or some such, you take pictures of other vacationers with wild abandon. The other vacationers do the same thing. You all upload the pictures to this website. Once you all get back from vacation, you download the pictures that random strangers have taken of you from the website. No coordination between anybody is required (though it'd probably help if you tell people the website name when they see you taking their picture); all that's necessary is that the concept and the website become popular enough that there's a reasonable chance someone is taking pictures of you. You get nothing in return for taking a bunch of photos of other people, except maybe kudos from them for your great photo skills, and of course you get other people taking pictures "for" you just like you're taking pictures "for" them.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.