Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Two things. First, the reason I came up with a PI that was lower than yours is that I am a Canuck and in Canada mortgages are compounded semiannually which would account for the difference. Sorry that I forgot to mention that.

Oh. Well that certainly does make a difference. What about your income taxes? How do you do depreciation? My calculations were all based on the US system.

I probably should have gone into a little more detail on my question, but I think I mentioned that the lease would be triple net(not sure if that is Canadian terminology). This means that the taxes, maintence costs and insurance is all the responsibility of the renter.

I did catch that, but not having any such properties I read it as tenant is responsible for all maintenance/upgrades. My bad; I should have caught that.

This changes the situation somewhat and puts me back at a gross effective yeild of a little over 17%. If this were the situation, is it still something that you would pass up?

It still looks skinny to me. Off the top, without doing a detailed calculation, in a circumstance where I don't have to pay taxes, insurance, or maintenance I would be happy enough with a 30% return. Allowing for a long term lease (and presuming the Lessee is solid and stable) I might shave another 5 points off that, which would put me at 25% ROI.

Don't forget that downside. If things go sour, will you be able to pay the $9 - something - hundred per month, plus the taxes? You should maintain an exit strategy if you need one.

Oh, and Rick is right. My risk tolerance is probably somewhat different than yours. I have taken lots of risks over the years; some have paid off handsomely and others have been expensive. At this point, I am more interested in making things cash flow handsomely than in expanding rapidly. So I am a bit risk averse right now.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.