Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
How do I delete myself permanently from a thread on text messages? I have iPhone 11 latest updates. Have googled but find no answer that works. there are 7 people on this , nothing but trivia....I've tried deleting each message as it comes in, but as they respond to each other I keep receiving them.I just want to "leave" the conversation and find no way to do that either on the phone or on my Mac? Grrrr......
Print the post Back To Top
If you tap on the person/people picture at the top of the thread, there is an Info icon, just an 'i', and in that page you can leave the conversation, hide alerts, etc...
No. of Recommendations: 1
Nope - I tap on the “i” it then lists the 7 people and Their phone numbers- i even tried hiding “alerts” only other option that I can find besides “done” - I can’t delete myself all i can do is delete the message, and they continue to respond to each other and i keep receiving additional txts! There’s got to be a way!!!
Sigh.... and grrrrr
If you tap on the person/people picture at the top of the thread, there is an Info icon, just an 'i', and in that page you can leave the conversation, hide alerts, etc...

You can only leave the conversation if everyone in the group is using an Apple product. When that is the case, your messages to the group will be on a blue background, as will the send message button in the box to type your reply. If those are green, someone is using a non-Apple device. In that case the only way to get yourself excluded is to ask (nicely or not nicely, up to you) for people to remove you from the group before replying again.

In either case, you should be able to hide alerts. But you're still receiving the text messages and being charged by your carrier for them.

--Peter
Hmm, I have a "Leave this Conversation", as well as "Hide Alerts" on my info page... We have a family group of 3 that gets a bit busy sometimes, so I just turn the sound off, naturally forget to turn it back on, but anyway, I'm surprised it's not there on yours... One thread of 3, DW &DD & me, the Leave option is grayed out, maybe it's locked somehow, is the only surprise I see..

iPhone11ProMax, latest iOS...

But, this might be the fuller answer:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209430
You can delete the thread - which clears the junk out. Next time you get a message from Person #1, block that caller - just you would if they had called you as Robo call. Worst case you will have to block all the other 6 people.
that's it - some are using Android cause the conversation is green NOT blue.
have the "hide" alerts activated.....but am still getting every "danm" one of their replies....sigh...and one of them is a relative....sigh...
No. of Recommendations: 0
I keep deleting it - and then another one of them responds with some "inane" IMHO, comment. And, as I said before, I don't want to insult this particular relative - I insulted enough family, already....lol lol
.and one of them is a relative....sigh...

I understand. Just a couple of days ago, my niece was participating in an on-line performance of some sort or another. The whole extended family got a group text message with some info on how to watch.

Come performance time, everyone starts having troubles connecting and having to talk about what they're watching. I'm at work trying to, you know, work.** And my blasted phone is going off twice a minute. Fortunately, we are all using iPhones, so I can quietly drop out of the conversation and don't have to be constantly reminded they're having some fun while I'm working.

--Peter

** Don't judge - I have a small office where I usually meet with clients. Can't meet, but since it's just me in the office, I can still go there and keep working.
Tuni -- text deletion only affect history. If what to affect/control future events, you really have only two options.

# One your friends(???) control - they could just remove you from the thread or more likely start a new thread without out you. Yes short of mind reading someone will have to tell them to take that action.

# Two you have to block the phone number(s) those people call & text from. Blocking affects future events - not only the thread in question - all messages and phone calls from the number(s) you block. This is not all bad - if of the 6 other people only one is objectionable, you can block that one and not the other 5.

Insanity = Doing the same thing, expecting different results this time.
How do I delete myself permanently from a thread on text messages?

Hey Tuni. I know you may not want to handle it this way but have you considered "blocking" the other people in your contacts. Not the best solution but I bet your problem would stop.

Regards,

ImAGolfer
Golfer
the other people are NOT in my contacts - they're friends (I guess) of my cousin who I don't want to insult.....I did mention to her one time that maybe she could exempt me from the "group" but she said she didn't know how to remove me....

I guess I'll just have to try blocking the others, somehow - I do have a phone number blocking app on my iPhone - maybe I could just block them individually ......

What a PITA!!
Gordon,
Maybe I can block her other 6 friends via my iPHone blocking app....
thx
Tuni..

I guess I'll just have to try blocking the others, somehow - I do have a phone number blocking app on my iPhone - maybe I could just block them individually ......

Are you referring to the built-in blocking feature and not a separate app?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

George