Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Typically, your home state taxes all of your income and then gives you a credit for taxes paid to the other state. That credit is normally the smaller of the actual taxes paid, or the home state's tax on the double taxed income.

So effectively you pay the higher of the two state's taxes on that out of state income.

However, some state pairs work the other way around. The non-resident state gives you a credit for taxes paid to your home state. These are definitely in the minority, but there are some out there.

A fairly time effective way to figure it out is to get the instructions for non-resident VA returns and see what they have to say. Also take a look at your PA instructions, keeping an eye out for a credit for taxes paid to other states.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.