Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi folks,
Have a stock Drip account in a UGMA account for son that was started very early in his life, the state is CT.

He's been an adult for quite a few years.
I haven't gotten around to transfer the stock to his name, instead, I just give him the 1099-DIV to report on his tax return.

I have been tracking the cost basis in Quicken.

I know if I transfer it into his name, if he doesn't sell it, I will have to keep track of the old cost basis for him going forward, which isn't practical.

I think he would just like to sell it - get rid of the manual cost basis thing, and buy some other stock where now the brokers have to keep track.

Is it worth me bothering to transfer it into his name, only to have him sell it in his name?
Or could I sell it and just include the gains in his tax return, as we have been doing with the dividends?

thanks in advance
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.