Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I understand that the funds in a UGMA can only be used for the benefit of the minor and must be beyond the normal requirements of a parent. I have questions on the mechanics. The funds are in a brokerage account and writing a check directly on the account is not an option. For private school tuition due in December, would I withdraw the funds for myself and then write a check from my account to the school, or would I write the check to the school first and then reimburse myself from the UGMA account? Or does the sequence matter? Can I reimburse myself for tuition paid in June of this year? What about expenses from last year? What about expenses from five years ago?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.