Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello oh wise tax folk,

My father passed away about ten years ago, and set up UGMA accounts with a family friend for college savings as part of the will. The UGMA were owned by our kid, with the family friend as custodian.

Upon turning 18, ownership moved directly to my child.

The IRS is asking for taxes on the entire amount transferred.

It seems to me the initial amount in the UGMA account might be considered a gift and just the mutual fund earnings since account inception considered taxable earnings.

I persume we do not get to split income into long term capital gains vs. income for a basic mutual fund (VTSMX).

Help would be appreciate.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.