Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1

Uh, I just found this board and noticed that a few people mentioned mystery novels. I thought I'd add a good author or six to the list.

Michael Connelly, the Harry Bosch series. He also wrote Blood Work, which was made into a poorly-received Eastwood movie last year. The Bosch series is about as good as it gets, though. The most recent book, The Narrows, somewhere in the middle of the pack. The first book, The Black Echo, is the place to start.

Dennis Lehane, the Kenzie/Gennaro series. I probably spelled those names wrong. He also wrote Mystic River, the movie Eastwood made after Blood Work, which won lots of awards.

Lawrence Block, the Matthew Scudder series. First-rate. Also writes the "Burglar" series about Bernie Rhodenbarr, which is more cute and humorous, but is very popular. Also wrote two books in the "Hit Man" mini-series, which is very good. He also published a huuuuge collection of short stories last year called Enough Rope. So many stories, he calls it a skyscraper, and damn near every one of them is first rate. I don't know how he does it.

And the bestest thriller writer of all time, Frederick Forsyth. He recently came out of retirement with Avenger, which takes place in the weeks before 9/11. His previous two books, Icon and the Fist of God, are outstanding. He's the one who wrote The Day of the Jackal, which has been made into two different movies, and The Odessa File. Tom Clancy wants to be Forsyth.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.