Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Uh, no, you can't do that. Non-Roth contributions roll into a traditional IRA if they roll anywhere. You might want to look into correcting this since it's a 6% excess contribution penalty if the IRS catches on.

Fidelity managed the separate transactions, and issued 1099Rs for the transactions. They said they could and would do the transfers.

I guess I chose bad wording. I have no doubt that it was done since you said it was. My point is that it's not allowed by tax law. I'll remind you of what I often say regarding financial service providers and tax law. There's a reason their fine print says don't rely on us.

Were I your husband I'd get an opinion from someone who knows tax law and can be held responsible. But it's his money, not mine.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.