No. of Recommendations: 3
uhmm.. yeahhh

While working, you get a tremendous company benefit, ie lieu of salary. If the company didn't pay for your healthcare, they could give you $10,000 more a year.....

a few years ago, I inquired of my employer if I could just get my own insurance policy and they 'would' just put the monthly premium into my paycheck...

the answer: "sure, but if you don't take the 'sponsored' policy, we will only 'pay' you 1/3 of the monthly premium."

I'm still with the same HMO but through a different employer. The monthly premium has increased about 15% in 10 years. BUT!! don't let this fool you - the benefits have DECREASED, and, I pay more for less: copay has increased 100% for 'regular' visits; copay for emergency is up 200%; now have a deductible on prescriptions; dental is optional and farcical; vision coverage is a farce (What I pay under the plan is about $5 less than what I pay in the 'free' world).

Friends at the previous employer tell me they've seen similar changes there, too.

To be fair, I have to mention that the HMO now 'covers' chiropractic and massage. I can see an in-network chiropractor for $35... or my out-of-network practitioner for $34. I can see an 'in network' massage therapist for $65/hour or an 'independent' for $60/hour.

Uhmm... yeah...

IMO, the health care MANAGEMENT system (HMOs, insurance companies, etc) is BROKEN in its current business model.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.