Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
... to avoid issues driven by Brexit.

This advise apparently coming directly from the government paints the situation worse (for Britain) than expected even by Brexit-fatalists such as myself. It would negate all official pretense of the UK having struck a deal guaranteeing at least the free flow of physical goods with us currently merely observing 'teething problems':

British businesses that export to the continent are being encouraged by government trade advisers to set up separate companies inside the EU in order to get around extra charges, paperwork and taxes resulting from Brexit, the Observer can reveal. In an extraordinary twist to the Brexit saga, UK small businesses are being told by advisers working for the Department for International Trade (DIT) that the best way to circumvent border issues and VAT problems that have been piling up since 1 January is to register new firms within the EU single market, from where they can distribute their goods far more freely. ...

Referring to discussions with a senior DIT adviser on trade, Moss said: “This guy talked complete sense. What I said to him was, have I got another choice [other than to set up a company abroad]? He confirmed that he couldn’t see another way. He told me that what I was thinking of doing was the right thing, that he could see no other option. He did not see this as a teething problem. He said he had to be careful what he said, but he was very clear.”

Moss said it was now clear that Brexit was not about winning back control from the EU but investing in it to survive. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-...

A commercial cheesemaker in Cheshire has been left with a £250,000 Brexit hole in his business as a direct result of the UK’s departure from the EU on 1 January. Simon Spurrell said he has lost 20% of his sales overnight after discovering he needed to provide a £180 health certificate on retail orders to consumers in the EU, including those buying personal gift packs of his award-winning wax-wrapped cheese worth £25 or £30. He says he had hoped to take part in the “sunny uplands” promised by the government post-Brexit but has instead seen the viability of his online retail come to a “dead stop”. ...

To save his business he will now have to switch a £1m investment he was planning to make in a new distribution centre in Macclesfield to the EU, with the loss of 20 jobs and tax revenue to the UK.

“It is a real shame because that means I’m now going to invest in France, provide French employment, and then contribute to the EU tax system, which was pretty much going against the whole reason that we were meant to be leaving.” ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-ch...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
The cynic in me thinks that the former US administration recognized how devastating Brexit would be to the British economy and encouraged it in order to make negotiations of a benefitial binational treaty more likely.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 6
The cynic in me thinks that the former US administration recognized how devastating Brexit would be to the British economy and encouraged it in order to make negotiations of a benefitial binational treaty more likely.

Actually, cynicism is not required here (although it helps). Both US and Russia governments have a long history of trying to split the EU in order to more easily impose their interests on individual countries.

Brexit is a good example... Russia is strongly suspected to have meddled in the referendum process however the UK government never commissioned a study, despite being urged by its own intelligence services. The US appears interested in a trade deal with Britain only if it can force delicacies like US chlorinated chicken and US health care providers down the Brits' throat.

Is this attitude going to change suddenly because of a new administration? From the earlier article:

... In a further blow to the government’s idea of “global Britain” after Brexit, the chances of signing a swift UK/US trade deal also appeared to be ebbing away after President[]’s nominee for Treasury Secretary, Janet Yellen, made clear the president had other more pressing domestic economic priorities than international trade deals. ...
No. of Recommendations: 2
Is this attitude going to change suddenly because of a new administration? From the earlier article:

... In a further blow to the government’s idea of “global Britain” after Brexit, the chances of signing a swift UK/US trade deal also appeared to be ebbing away after President[]’s nominee for Treasury Secretary, Janet Yellen, made clear the president had other more pressing domestic economic priorities than international trade deals. ...

=====================================================

UK is going to suffer for years to come. The UK economies will be doing poorly, and when they see France and Ireland economies doing well the people in the UK will cry "bloody hell" and boot out the conservatives and labor pro-Brexit crowd from leadership.

Scotland may have a vote to leave the UK and actually leave the UK and join the EU due to economics. Northern Ireland may also see the benefits of the EU economy and join Southern Ireland to form a United Ireland.

Then England and Wales may then come begging to rejoin the EU, and the EU will allow them to rejoin.

Jaak