Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Um, he did. Some people couldn't leave because they don't have cars or couldn't afford the tank of gas or a hotel and simply have no where else to go. That's who we're talking about being there, the poorest of the poor, mainly those who don't have cars and who's only other option was to walk out and sleep on the side of the highway, still in the direct path of the hurricane - I woulda taken my chances in that situation too.

It's a credit to their pre-storm efforts and warning that only tens of thousands remained in a city of millions.

Without turning this into PA,

I just want to re-iterate this point. About eighty percent (or almost 300,000 to 350,000 people) evacuated. Eighty percent! And, according to most reports, the pre-hurricane evacuation went extremely well and quite swiftly. The city (or state) had developed a plan to get people out of the city going west (to Texas) or east (to Mississippi). Obviously, few people chose the east route.

So, essentially, the majority of that 300-350K went in one direction with what sounds to be minimal accidents and/or hazards.

Pretty amazing, if you ask me.

Regardless, it's reminded me the importance of having lots of accessible credit on my cards, some cash on hand, a full tank of gas, and a well-working vehicle. I'm also going to stock up on water and some canned food and work with my dogs on obedience handling. I would hate to have them not respond to me in the case of an emergency.

bleplatt
who really should be working.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.