Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Um Phil,

I have always listened to what you say on these tax matters, but I have to respectfully disagree. I have been married with 2 children the whole time I have been working and according to the first page of the W-4 (not the second), the person you responded to should claim 3 exemptions according to the W-4 itself. I must say that with my 2 children I always claimed 6 (1-myself, 1-one job in the household, 1-spouse, 2-children, 1-child tax credit or something like that) until we purchase our home, and we ALWAYS ended up with a refund over $1K.

1) Enter "1" for yourself if no one else can claim you as a dependent

2) Enter "1" if:

You are single and have only one job; or
You are married, have only one job, and your spouse does not work;
Your wages from a second job or your spouse's wages (or the total
of both) are $1,000 or less

3) Enter "1" for your spouse.

I once again want to reiterate that I realize that you're a former professional, but the above instructions (the upper half of the form that actually matters to the previous poster) are fairly clear to me.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.