No. of Recommendations: 3
At 53 separated and walked away from a house I owed 300k and was worth 130k. With about 50k total in my ira i decided to reduce my cost of living substantially not only for my benenfit but so at some point going forward my kids are not fighting over who is going to pay my rent.

So I took 10k out of ira and baught a fixer upper mobile home in a nice mobile home community. I call it the house that Craigslist built. At this point two years later I have all modern Stainless steel appliances. Beautiful furniture, still need to paint and replace a few windows (3)

It is a 2 bedroom 1000 sq ft and this is what it cost me monthly.

440 lot rent
120 electric for some heat, hot water, lighting etc
30 propane heating
40 taxes school
630 total

My previous 4 b/r house was running me 2500 month to maintain and all I did was work to pay the taxes utilities and maintenance. What a waste of most of my life.

I plan on using the extra money to enjoy life (and pay alimony). I should have done this 20 years ago
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.