Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

What a pain that was.  About 100 tickers added/removed from the index.  Since there is no good way I know of to check the number of votes for each of the picks currently in the list I had to go into each ones individual page.  I then had to scan the entire list of active tickers to see what needed to be added.  Because of all this, I am contemplating a change to the index.  Currently I include anything with 0 shorts and 20 longs.  I would change this to only including tickers with 0 shorts and 20 longs by all-stars.  Let me know what you think.

I will wait until next months update to decide.  Based on the growth of caps, and peoples tendency to go long rather than short, I will probably have to do something to limit the index to the 200 available picks I have.

As far as analysis, the index initially shot up to the top of caps, only to plummet about a month later to mediocrity.  Over the past couple months it has slowly recovered group to become an allstar again.  Interestingly enough, the sister index, unanimous1stars, has been extremely successful.  It has hovered in the high 90s since inception and would be doing even better if I updated it more often.  I am guessing this is due to the higher level of investing knowledge associated with those who are comfortable making short picks, but it could just be dumb luck too.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.  It is always interesting to see people reply to these things.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.