Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1

Its been 2 years since I last blogged.  Not sure if there are many human CAPS players left that will read this.  But its nice to be able to document my thoughts for reference later.  Having said that. I'm seeing more propaganda and misinformation about the new Tax Law than information and I feel called to clear a few things up.

Ok... While I'm not a Trump supporter, seeing inaccurate data in political propaganda drives me up a wall. I also want to preface that I'm neither a supporter nor a detractor for the new tax law.

But one thing I am is a CPA with a pretty in depth understanding of tax law, how it works, how it affects the economy, and the timing. I also studied the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in great detail. So I will give you my completely unbiased thoughts about the new tax law. But first let me explain the inaccuracies.

1. The tax cut increasing wages: I'm not sure if Trump ever said that the wage increase will be immediate. If he did then he would be incorrect. In general it will take upwards of 2 calendar years before we see the real effects of the changes in the Tax Code on the economy. Which brings me to the second point.

2. Comparing year over year wages and tying it to a tax code that was just put into Law is just as bad as Trump taking credit for the better economy a year into office. Either these things have an immediate effect or they don't. You can't have it both ways.

Now on to my observations of the new tax law.

3. The vast majority of this country (including many businesses) has no freakin clue whats in this new tax law except a few soundbites off of ridiculously biased media outlets. This new tax law is MAJOR. Once this new tax law is fully understood and implemented it will be no longer business as usual.

4. EVERYONE, I mean literally EVERYONE will be affected by this new tax law. Most of yall wont even figure out it until next tax season. Which means that you will not really see the new tax law have ANY effects on the economy until 2019 (conveniently after the midterm elections).

5. Now for the unpopular opinion. This new tax law may actually create new jobs. There are many provisions in the new tax code designed to increase manufacturing activity in the US which will ultimately create more manufacturing jobs (or not if they can get robots to do it). Its going to create new jobs for accountants and lawyers as they figure out how to help businesses and the wealthy navigate this new tax code. Its going to increase business for Financial Advisors as they deal with the wealth management aspects of the tax code.

6. Will this law increase wages? Yes and no. Its going to increase income for some industries that will benefit from the new tax code. Conversely, it will cause job loss for all the industries rendered obsolete by the new tax code.

7. This law will lower taxes for alot of the middle class.

8. This law will simplify tax prep for alot of the middle class

9. This law will probably put alot of tax preparers out of business. There's word that H&R Block is already planning to close hundreds of locations.

So now that you've been armed with the knowledge, there is no need to spread misinformation. Spreading misinformation actually causes more harm than good.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.