Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
UncaMikey:

<<<<recently some Republicans in Congress have said that they would like to add a capital gains tax reduction also. Here's one article:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/stories/02/06/bush.taxes.ap/index.html >>>>>

"Interesting, thanks.

Many people are now in the 28% bracket. If the marginal rate is reduced to 15%, without any other changes, then those people will pay *higher* taxes for capital gains than for regular income.

If the proposal in the link above (reducing cap gains rate to 15%) is added, then the difference in tax treatment for cap gains is effectively eliminated.

I am still puzzling over what all this might mean, both now and at RE time. I think many of us were expecting that cap gains would have lower tax rate than regular income.

Wouldn't this also affect so-called 'tax efficient' mutual funds?"

It has been my understanding that if a person is in the 15% bracket, then the LTCG rate is only 10%, at least until that person fills the 15% bracket.

As a result of my understanding (or misunderstanding), I am very confused by this series of posts.

Can someone clarify?

Regards, JAFO
(who has been fortunate to be outside the 15% bracket for awhile now)

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.