Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Completed taxes for 1999 and owe a little more than the 1000 limit due to a Roth conversion, also got married in 1999 and was curious if there was a way to avoid the underpayment penalty.

Another question involves moving expenses. I'm reading TMF's Investment Tax Guide 2000 and trying to get Tax Foolish for 2000's taxes. It mentioned moving expenses come right off the top. I am correct in believing that this is not an itemized deduction, and can subtract the moving expenses on next year's return?

Thanks for your help.
Print the post Back To Top
Completed taxes for 1999 and owe a little more than the 1000 limit due to a Roth
conversion, also got married in 1999 and was curious if there was a way to avoid the
underpayment penalty.

You might try completing the Schedul AI of Form 2210. If the conversion was in the first quarter, don't bother. Also did you look at the prior year's tax safe harbor? Add you and spouse's 1998 taxes for this one. Ed
<< Another question involves moving expenses. I'm reading TMF's Investment Tax Guide 2000 and trying to get Tax Foolish for 2000's taxes. It mentioned moving expenses come right off the top. I am correct in believing that this is not an itemized deduction, and can subtract the moving expenses on next year's return >>

Qualified moving expenses are an adjustment to income on line 26 of the 1040. You don't have to itemize.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer