Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Undocumented worker.
Actually, I don't know - didn't think to ask. The reason I think it's a possibility is since he cashed the check at my bank rather than taking it to his. But it could be he just wanted to make sure the check was good.

Either way, I don't see how it is your problem. You paid him, and it is up to him to handle his own tax situation. There's nothing you can do to change that. I can think of lots of reasons that he cashed your check at his bank. Maybe he doesn't have a bank account. Maybe his bank account is garnished for child support and he is a deadbeat dad. Maybe he needed cash for his weekly expenses like groceries etc. and it was just easier to cash your check than it was to deposit it at his bank and then do a withdrawal because your bank was closer and faster. Maybe he was planning on surprising the wife with a gift, and didn't want her to know how much he spent, so was using cash. Maybe he is actually working under the table and doesn't want to claim it on his taxes.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.