Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately, people often seem to reverse these two.

Hmmmm. If people often SEEM to reverse these two, then you're implying that sometimes they clearly incontrovertibly actually DO reverse them? Come on now. No waffling. They do or they don't. ;-)

This is exactly the problem I have!  I have to stop in the middle of reading and try to figure out whether they are actually reversing the two (consistently) or whether they are merely confused -- maybe using the abbreviations at random  -- or what.  Sometimes I reach the conclusion that you mention -- that the people have clearly reversed the abbreviations.  Sometimes it's not at all clear to me what's going on, and I just think they are confused.  Maybe they SEEM to reverse them, but I can't be sure.  Sometimes I see a case like "Faculty should report all research activities (i.e., publications) to the Dean's office" and I wonder whether "publications" is a gloss on "research activities" and spells out what that really means (in which case I take the "i.e." as "i.e.") or whether the "i.e." is a confusion for "e.g.", where "publications" is just an example of a research activity that should be reported.  So, I think you're right that people either actually are reversing these two, or they only seem to.  But figuring out the difference is really hard, especially in cases in which I see only a limited sample of their text.  

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is very common.  (Just yesterday, I had to change someone's "i.e." to "e.g." since in that case it was pretty clear what they meant.  Other cases are harder to figure out.)  

--SirTas
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.