Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately, there's a three-year deadline for filing an amended return, so you are out of luck.

I agree with Phil, too, but for a different reason.

During my VITA/TCE training, a seasoned volunteer preparer described a scenario where a client had neglected to claim eligible credits for a number of previous years. The preparer corrected the oversight, even for returns that exceeded the three year deadline, and refiled the amended returns.

Apparently there was no complaint from the IRS, and they issued the amount due to the individual for all years.

So I'm falling in the camp of "try it anyway." What's the worst that happens? The IRS says no. Then you're no worse off than before the amended return was filed. If they say OK, then you win.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.