Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
unfortunately, welcome to the board. i will be replying more, but time is limited now. first of all, be wary of advice from anyone, yea that means even me, but take a lot of advice from everyone and sift through it. most people on this board are very well meaning, some have bigger agendas, and some are more compliant with a good regime than others than others - i glean that from reading over time. i will respond to some specifics now.

'My question concerns the school. She attends a public high school and has been out for the last few days. I will probably keep her at home the rest of the week until we are very comfortable with the routine. In the preliminary conversations with the school nurse, they got all excited about 504 Accomodation paperwork and want me to fill out a bunch of forms.'

i have no experience with the '504 acommodation' but i agree with your instincts regarding information and bureaucrats. the fact is, if you educate yourself, there is no real reason your daughter needs to take syringes to school. this will mean she has a low carb intake at her lunch time, but i am not a low carb fanatic, she can get carbs when she's at home and has the insulin. it also requires that she is on an insulin regime that uses a fast acting insulin, and a very slow 'basal' insulin (or a pump). there are old regimes with intermediate acting insulins that sort of required you to take carbs at a certain time (lunch), and have some additional insulin maybe. your daughter might even be on such a regime now, as a starter, but she should ultimately switch to one like the above, or a pump. a good doctor will advise you about all of this, and if they don't, get another doctor.

unfortunately, the cat is sort of out of the bag - you've talked to the nurse, so given this knowledge they may be able to compel you to do something. what your daughter needs is for her teachers to know, in confidence, and some friends so they can watch for signs of hypoglycemia, that is the only potentially, but not in most cases, emergency event. and your daughter needs to carry a source of sugar. that's all she really needs at school.

two things, 1. the summer is near and your daughter will then have time to sort out how her body responds to insulin combined with various situations - rest, activity, etc.. with knowledge she can be pretty independent and no one, almost, will need to know her condition.
2. the future is still bright for her, for this type of diabetes, knowledge is great power. my 17 yr old daughter plays very competitive soccer, one of the best players on her team is type 1. she's got a pump, and occasionally sits out to suck up some carbs, but she does fine. there are lots of people walking around with this disease who never get all the nightmare conditions associated with it that are due to lack of glucose control. they follow "tight control". it's possible, it's harder when you are a teenager, but she can do it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.