Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately, you can't contribute extra money to a 401k, to catch-up, for example, beyond the maximum % your employer will take out of your paycheck.

For 1998, you can contribute a combined total of $10,000, regardless of how many employers you have, previous or current. I believe that this is also capped at 17% of income, which ever is less. It makes no difference how this money is contributed throughout the year. OTOH, I also believe that your employer is free to contribute as much as they want, within the rules of their plan.

If you can't catch up, might I suggest a Roth IRA, since you intended to use this $1k for retirement.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.