Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
First time posting, so be gentle:

Here's my scenario: my wife is a US Citizen, I am a permanent resident (green card holder). When she dies (not for a long time!) can I claim the Unified Credit / Applicable Credit Amount (current applicable exclusion amt of 675,000) (Form 706)? Or must I file 706-xx for non-citizens?

I'm aware that most property held jointly is excluded via the marital deduction...Am I able to claim this as well?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.