Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Unless I am mistaken, I do not recall Moore ever stating that you should buy for 20 years and forget about it. If anyone else suggested that here, I think they missed the point. Markets change rapidly, and a company's position in the evolving business ecosystem can change quickly too. For example, Oracle, EMC and Cisco are very much at the center of the ecosystem while Microsoft may very well indeed be threatened at the top of the food chain.

The book talks about not micro-managing your portfolio. This is not new. In fact, almost none of the concepts in the book are new. Assessing your portfolio four times a year is probably quite adequate. This prevents you from making knee jerk reactions and allows you to spend time learning and building knowledge, while scoping out other baskets of stocks in which to invest.

Personally, as shareholder in Intel, I am glad that they are expanding their product lines and research efforts. It's not like they are expanding into totally unrelated lines of business. So, let's talk about discontinuous innovations. In Clayton Christensen's book, The Innovator's Dilemma, he talks about many industries where the incumbent leaders got smoked when discontinous innovations arose from the low-end while the leader retreated to the high end. The innovators kept attacking from below. It is said that the very reason why Andy Grove built the Celeron is because he read this book. I would rather Intel invest some money into to projects that ultimately fail if it helps them find at least one or a few innovations that allow them to remain a leader in their industry and not be attacked from below.

Bruce brown did a great job dispelling the Atari analogy. I think that anyone who would have played the market as suggested in the original post of the thread did not play the Gorilla Game. Hence, if they did not play the Game, then you cannot blame the Game for such a failure.

Best,

John Del Vecchio
Investment Research Fool
The Motley Fool
http://www.fool.com
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.