Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Unless I've made a significant error in my calculations, after retiring it appears that I contribute more to the Social Security and Medicare trust funds than I did when I was employed.

Net of what they pay you?

Using the 22% marginal tax rate on 50% of my 2019 Social Security annual benefits earmarked for the OASDI Trust Fund, the taxes on the benefit exceeds the FICA OASDI withholding from my earnings during 2012 my last full year of employment. The tax is equivalent to approximately 1.5 months of Social Security benefits.

Since retiring and starting to receive Social Security benefits in February 2013, I have received in benefits 139% of my and my employers' total FICA OASDI contributions starting in June 1959 and ending in January 2013.

I am constantly bemused by comments that I see in articles about Social Security where the commenters claim that they will never recover their and their employers' FICA OASDI contributions. I and my employers' contributed to FICA OASDI for 54 years. It took less than 7 years for me to receive the equivalent amount in benefits.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.