Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
=Unless the foreign tax on the dividends was more than $300 ($600 MFJ), you would have been better off taking the credit directly on Form 1040. You don't need to file Form 1116. This is almost always better than taking them as an itemized deduction. You can go back and amend the prior three year's returns if it's to your advantage. I can't tell you how to accomplish this in your software, but usually there is a checkbox on the 1099-DIV input screen to tell the program that an 1116 isn't needed.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.