No. of Recommendations: 2
Unless there's a trust or something, whoever dies second can do whatever they want after the first one dies.
That's true IF they own the home (and funds in the related account) as joint tenants. If, however, the property and the designated account are titled as tenants-in-common, the interest of the first to die will be included in his/her probate estate, and pass under the terms of his/her will. OR maybe one or both of them titled his/her 1/2 interest in the name of his/her revocable trust. I've seen that done, too.

In the situtation as described, I would agree that the use of a trust is the preferred way to go, as the trust instrument would do best at spelling out the rights of all the various parties concerned - the two partners and their respective children.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.