Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Unless you are being sarcastic, I tend to disagree with you regarding Eliot Spitzer.  It seemed to me, from what I read, that he did a lot of good.  Through lawsuits against the brokerage houses and mutual fund managers, he did a lot of investigations that the SEC should have been doing, forced a lot of reforms that the SEC should have mandated, exposed a lot of shady deals that the SEC should have stopped, and generally did a lot of the work that the SEC should have been doing to protect the American public, (regarding "front trading", "back-dating trades", etc.).  If it wasn't for Eliot, a lot of things that should have never been going on might still be going on.

As for how good of a governer he is, I haven't a clue, as I haven't followed him since he became governer.  But from what I read about him while he was AG, it seemed like he was doing a lot of good things for the investing public, (unless of course you were a shady trader, a shady fund manager or some other Wall Street shyster), and was doing the SEC's work for them since the SEC didn't seem to want to bother doing it.  In fact, from what I read, the SEC only shut down a lot of these illegal and "breach of fiduciary responsibility" activities after Eliot made them look bad by all his lawsuits.  Now granted, Eliot might have been a "news hound", always trying to get his name in the paper and on TV, but at least, from what I have read, he was getting his name in the paper and in the news for good actions.

Just my opinion.  As for his having sex with prostitutes, I leave that up to his wife to punish him for.

Craig 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.