Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5
Unless you by some fluke qualify for the "household employee" criterion (extremely unlikely) the parent doesn't need to do anything.

Correct so far.

If s/he wants to s/he can ask you for a W-9 to get your SSN, then use the W9 to fill out a 1099 and file it with the IRS, but that's not required.

I disagree with this. 1099s are only to be filed by businesses for business expenses. They are not to be filed by individuals for their personal expenses. And tutoring your child is a personal expense.

In this age of awareness about identity theft, I would not give my SSN to anyone who did not have a legitimate reason for using it. And this is not a legitimate reason.

Taxes are the independent contractor's (your) responsibility.

Again, I agree.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.