Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Unlike contributions, you can take distributions from your IRA in the form of securities. IOW, you can move stock from your IRA to a regular investment account without selling the stock. The amount of the distribution is the value of the stock on the date of transfer. If you don't need the cash this would be a good thing to do with stocks that you think are temporarily down. If you leave them in the IRA, any gain will be taxed as ordinary income when you finally withdraw them or their value. If you use them for your distribution and they then grow in your taxable account, gains will be eligible for the favored long-term capital gains rates (after they've been out of the IRA for a year).

You can also transfer those stocks from your IRA to a Roth and hope they also grow.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.